The Veritas NetBackup Appliances 4.x course covers how to configure the appliances and add storage to the appliances. You learn how the appliances easily integrate into the NetBackup environment, how to run backups and restores, and the basics of resolving appliance issues and maintaining the appliances. You also learn about reconfiguring the appliances, deploying virtual appliances, using common appliance features, and clustering NetBackup 53xx appliances.
By the end of this training course, you will be able to:
- Describe key components of the NetBackup Appliances – hardware and software.
- Configure the NetBackup Appliance.
- Configure Universal Shares in an Appliance.
- Perform local configuration tasks using the Appliance Web Console and CLISH.
- Perform remote configuration tasks using VRM.
- Integrate appliances into the NetBackup environment, run backups and restores.
- Configure appliance shares and work with Oracle Copilot and Instant Access for VMware.
- Resolve appliance issues with troubleshooting tools.
- Monitor appliance health.
- Update appliance software.
- Perform maintenance tasks on the appliance.
- Reconfigure the appliance.
- Deploy Virtual Appliances.
- Describe pre-configuration tasks for deployment and configuration of a NetBackup Virtual Appliance.
- Cluster NetBackup 53xx appliances.
This course is meant for customers and partners new to appliances and front-line technical support personnel who are responsible for configuring the 5340 and 5350 appliances, performing appliance maintenance tasks, operating and managing the appliance, and troubleshooting the appliance.
You must have a working knowledge of Veritas NetBackup. It would be beneficial to have some knowledge about Veritas NetBackup Appliances, networking, and storage concepts.
Module 1: NetBackup Appliances: Introduction
- NetBackup Appliance Family: Overview
- NetBackup Appliance Software: Overview
- NetBackup Appliance Hardware: Overview
- Veritas NetInsights Console: Overview
Module 2: Configuring the Appliance
- Pre-configuration Checklist and Other Considerations
- Accessing the Appliance Web Console
- Initial Configuration Using Appliance Web Console and NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu (CLISH)
- Remote Configuration Using VRM Interface
- Appliance Management Server
- Exercise A: Configuring a Primary/Master Server Appliance
- Exercise B: Adding a 5350 Media Server Appliance to a Master Server
- Exercise C: Configuring a 5350 Media Server Appliance
- Exercise D: Verifying the Configuration
- Exercise E: Accessing the NetBackup Administration Console
- Exercise F: Viewing Software Emails
Module 3: Performing Appliance Operations
- Integrating Appliances in a NetBackup Environment
- Performing Backups and Restores with Appliances
- Configuring Appliance Shares
- Instant Access for VMware
- Exercise A: Using the Appliance Shell Menu to View Storage Information
- Exercise B: Creating and Resizing Storage Partitions
- Exercise C: Configuring Backup Policies
- Exercise D: Performing Manual Backups
- Exercise E: Creating an Instant Access Virtual Machine
Module 4: Appliance Troubleshooting and Tools
- Appliance Online Resources
- Appliance Physical Inspection
- Resolving Common Hardware Faults
- Exercise A: Using Appliance Shell Support Menu Troubleshooting Commands
- Exercise B: Viewing Log Files Using the Support > Logs Command
- Exercise C: Performing Log Transfers Using the Support > LogBrowser Command
- Exercise D: Viewing the CLISH Audit Log
Module 5: Monitoring Appliance Health
- Monitoring with OpsCenter
- Monitoring with Appliance Web Console and NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu
- Monitoring with Veritas Remote Management
- Exercise A: Monitoring an Appliance Primary/Master Server Using OpsCenter
- Exercise B: Monitoring an Appliance Primary/Master Server Using the Appliance Web Console
- Exercise C: Monitoring an Appliance Primary/Master Server Using the Appliance Shell Menu
Module 6: Updating Appliance Software
- NetBackup Appliance Software Version 4.1 Upgrade: Overview
- Upgrading the Appliance
- Appliance Management Console: Overview
- Configuring an Appliance as an AMS
- Managing Appliances with Appliance Management Console
- NetBackup Client Upgrades with VxUpdate
- Exercise A: Configuring an Appliance as an Appliance Management Server (AMS)
- Exercise B: Configuring an Appliance as an Appliance Management Agent (AMA)
- Exercise C: Managing Appliances from the Appliance Management Console (AMC)
Module 7: Performing Appliance Maintenance Tasks
- Managing AutoSupport Alerts
- Setting the Login Banner
- Configuring a NetBackup CLI User
- Configuring LDAP and AD Authentication
- Adding a Storage Shelf
- Maintaining Appliance Security
- Configuring SAN Client and Fibre Channel Replication
- Exercise A: Creating, Viewing, and Removing Login Banners
- Exercise B: Configuring User Authentication
- Exercise C: Creating and Using NetBackup CLI Users
- Exercise D: Maintaining Appliance Security
Module 8: Reconfiguring the Appliance
- Appliance Resets
- Appliance Reimaging
- Migrating to a New Appliance
- Decommissioning an Appliance
- Exercise A: Performing a NetBackup Manual Backup
- Exercise B: Configuring Data Migration
- Exercise C: Viewing the Migration Task Status
- Exercise D: Viewing Data Migration Results
Module 9: Working with Copilot
- Database Protection Challenges
- NetBackup Copilot for Oracle: Overview
- Configuration Steps
- Recovery Scenarios and Procedures
- Exercise A: Creating and Mounting an Appliance Share
- Exercise B: Configuring Storage Lifecycle Policies
- Exercise C: Configuring an Oracle Intelligent Policy
Module 10: Working with Virtual Appliances
- Virtual Appliances: Overview
- Differences Between Virtual and Physical Appliances
- Pre-configuration Tasks
- Deploying a NetBackup Virtual Appliance
- Configuring a NetBackup Virtual Appliance
- Additional Configuration Tasks
- Upgrading the Virtual Appliance
- Exercise A: Deploying a Combined Primary/Master and Media Server Appliance
- Exercise B: Replicating Images to a Virtual Appliance
Module 11: Clustering NetBackup 53xx Appliances
- High Availability: Overview
- Installation and Configuration
- AutoSupport for High Availability
- Universal Share for High Availability
- Upgrading NetBackup High Availability Appliances
- Exercise A: Configuring a NetBackup 53xx High Availability Setup
- Exercise B: Adding the Partner Node to the NetBackup 53xx High Availability Configuration
- Exercise C: Performing a Failover Scenario During Backup
Module 12: NetBackup 5250 Appliance
- NetBackup 5250 Appliance: Overview
- NetBackup 5250 Appliance: Physical Status Indicators
- NetBackup 5250 Appliance: Maintenance Tasks
Module 13: NetBackup 5350 Appliance
- NetBackup 5350 Appliance: Overview
- NetBackup 5350 Appliance: Physical Status Indicators
- NetBackup 5350 Appliance: Maintenance Tasks
Module 14: NetBackup 5340 Appliance
- NetBackup 5340 Appliance: Overview
- NetBackup 5340 Appliance: Physical Status Indicators
- NetBackup 5340 Appliance: Maintenance Tasks