This course focuses on essential administration tasks that will be encountered in the workplace, including installing the operating system, establishing network connectivity, managing physical storage, and performing basic security administration. Additional terms and conditions apply–please see your Account Executive. Class available in the Bellevue, WA location only.
Previous operating system administration experience is helpful but not required for this course.
This course is recommended for: a Microsoft Windows system administrator who needs to quickly learn core Red Hat Enterprise Linux proficiencies; a system administrator, network administrator, or other IT professional who requires proficiency performing core tasks in the Linux OS; a non-Linux IT professional on the path to becoming a full-time Linux system administrator.
Lesson 1: Get started with the GNOME graphical desktop
- Get started with GNOME and edit text files with gedit.
Lesson 2: Manage files graphically with Nautilus
- Manage files graphically and access remote systems with Nautilus.
Lesson 3: Get help in a graphical environment
- Access documentation, both locally and online.
Lesson 4: Configure local services
- Configure the date and time, and configure a printer.
Lesson 5: Manage physical storage I
- Understand basic disk concepts and manage system disks.
Lesson 6: Manage logical volumes
- Understand logical volume concepts and manage logical volumes.
Lesson 7: Monitor system resources
- Manage CPU, memory, and disk utilization.
Lesson 8: Manage system software
- Manage system software locally and using Red Hat? Network (RHN).
Lesson 9: Get started with bash
- Understand basic shell concepts, execute simple commands, and use basic job control techniques.
Lesson 10: Get help in a textual environment
- Use man and info pages and find documentation in /usr/share/doc.
Lesson 11: Establish network connectivity
- Understand basic network concepts; configure, manage, and test network settings
Lesson 12: Administer users and groups
- Manage users and groups.
Lesson 13: Manage files from the command line
- Understand Linux? file system hierarchy and pathnames; manage files from the command line.
Lesson 14: Secure Linux file access
- Understand Linux file access mechanisms; manage file access from the GUI and the command line
Lesson 15: Administer remote systems
- Share and connect to a desktop; use SSH and rsync.
Lesson 16: Configure general services
- Manage services; configure SSH and remote desktops.
Lesson 17: Manage physical storage II
- Manage file system attributes and swap space.
Lesson 18: Install Linux graphically
- Install Red Hat Enterprise Linux and configure the system with firstboot.
Lesson 19: Manage virtual machines
- Understand basic virtualization concepts; install and manage virtual machines.
Lesson 20: Control the boot process
- Understand runlevels and manage GRUB.
Lesson 21: Deploy file-sharing services
- Deploy an FTP server and a web server.
Lesson 22: Secure network services
- Manage a firewall; understand SELinux concepts and manage SELinux.
Lesson 23: Comprehensive review
- Get a hands-on review of the concepts covered in this course.