This is a 5-day ILT course that is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills required to support and troubleshoot Windows 10 PCs and devices in a Windows Server domain environment. These skills include understanding of Windows 10 features, how they can be used in an Active Directory environment and how to troubleshoot them.
In addition to their professional experience, students who attend this training should already have the following technical knowledge:
- Networking fundamentals, including Transmission Control Protocol /Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), User Datagram Protocol (UDP), and Domain Name System (DNS).
- Microsoft Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) principles.
- Understanding of the Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) components.
- Windows Server 2016 fundamentals.
- Microsoft Windows Client essentials; for example, experience with Windows 10 or knowledge from the courses 20697-1 and 20697-2.
The primary audience for this course is the Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (EDST), who provides Tier 2 support to users running Windows 10 personal computers (PCs) and devices in medium to large enterprise organizations, within a Windows domain environment. EDSTs focus on a broad range of technical issues for Windows operating systems (OSs), devices, cloud services, applications, networking, and hardware support. In the overarching scenario, if an enterprise offers the service, the EDST is asked to support it.
The key responsibilities include resolving technical issues pertaining to Windows 10 installation and migration, activation, performance, profiles, settings; and device synchronization. Some other key responsibilities include local and remote network access; access to applications, access to data and printers; authentication, Endpoint security and policy; OS and data recovery.
The secondary audience for this course are IT professionals who administer and support Windows 10 desktops, devices, users, and associated network and security resources. Students who seek certification in the following exams will also benefit from this course:
- 70-697, Configuring Windows Devices
- 70-698, Installing and Configuring Windows 10
Lesson 1: Implementing a Troubleshooting Methodology
- Overview of Windows 10
- Introduction to the EDST Job Role
- Overview of the Troubleshooting Steps
- Troubleshooting Tools
Lesson 2: Troubleshooting Startup Issues
- Overview of the Windows 10 Startup Recovery Environment
- Troubleshooting Startup Settings
- Recovering BitLocker-Protected Drives
- Configuring the Registry
Lesson 3: Performing System Recovery
- Troubleshooting Operating System Service Issues
- Recovering a Computer
Lesson 4: Troubleshooting Hardware and Device Drivers
- Troubleshooting Device Driver Failures
- Overview of Hardware Troubleshooting
Lesson 5: Administering Windows 10
- Overview of Administration Tools
- Using Remote Desktop
- Introduction to Windows PowerShell
- Remoting with Windows PowerShell
- Introduction to Provisioning
Lesson 6: Resolving Issues with Network Connectivity Issues
- Determining Network Settings
- Troubleshooting Network Connectivity
- Troubleshooting Name Resolution
Lesson 7: Troubleshooting Group Policy
- Overview of Group Policy Application
- Resolving Client Configuration Failures and GPO Application Issues
Lesson 8: Configuring and Troubleshooting User Settings
- Troubleshooting Sign In Issues
- Troubleshooting the Application of User Settings
Lesson 9: Troubleshooting Remote Connectivity
- Overview of Remote Access
- Troubleshooting Issues with VPN Connectivity
Lesson 10: Configuring and Troubleshooting Resource Access
- Troubleshooting File Permissions Issues
- Troubleshooting Issues with Printer Access
- Configuring and Troubleshooting File Synchronization
- Performing file recovery in Windows 10
Lesson 11: Troubleshooting Applications
- Troubleshooting Desktop App Installation Issues
- Troubleshooting Desktop Apps
- Managing Universal Windows Apps
Lesson 12: Maintaining Windows 10
- Managing and Troubleshooting Computer Performance
- Applying Applications and Windows Updates
Lesson 13: Recovering Data and Operating System
- File Recovery in Windows 10
- Recovering an Operating System